Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Check it out: "An Insider's View of Evangelicals" by Michael Davenport

http://christianity.ca/news/commentary/2005/09.004.html

Check out Michael Davenport's excellent article defending Canadian Evangelicals from liberal-media misrepresentations.

Here's a sample:

"Cannot our liberal society just accept Evangelicals as an odd minority group that avoids sex except between husbands and wives? Wouldn't that be just like accepting vegans as an odd minority group that avoids foods derived from animals? Cannot vegans dislike meat and still love meat-eaters? Should our laws forbid vegans from suggesting that their diet is healthier or morally superior? If I go to a vegan home would it be right, when they politely refuse to prepare bacon and eggs for my breakfast, to accuse them of hating me?

And if they refuse to appoint me, a meat-eater, as an official vegan spokesman, can I accuse them of unfair discrimination?"

This is an example of the public defense of the faith (known as "apologetics") in action. I'll be teaching apologetics next month in Zambia at Trans-Africa Theological College. I may use this article as a case-study.

No comments:

"... nothing intellectually compelling or challenging.. bald assertions coupled to superstition... woefully pathetic"