Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Are You Better Than A Cheezie: A Purposeless Process That Did Not Have [Man] In Mind


George Gaylord Simpson - American Paleontologist

"Man is the result of a purposeless and natural process that did not have him in mind."

(source: http://www.errantskeptics.org/CaptainAhab.htm)

George Gaylord Simpson was the most influential paleontologist of the twentieth century. He is noted for anticipating the concept of punctuated equilibrium and dispelling the mistaken belief that the evolution of the horse was a linear process culminating in the modern Equus caballus. (source: Wikipedia)

* * *

Contrast Simpson's bleak assessment with Willie Nelson's lyrics of imperfect love:

Maybe I didn't treat you
Quite as good as I should have
Maybe I didn't love you
Quite as often as I could have
Little things I should have said and done
I just never took the time
You were always on my mind
You were always on my mind

Willie may not have always been there for her, but at least she was always on his mind -- which is more than can be said for the mindless creator of this magnificent universe we inhabit, a universe whose complexity and mathematical order vastly exceeds that of Willie's song.

Also contrast Simpson's assessment with this poetic passage from Psalm 8:

When I consider your heavens,
the work of your fingers,
the moon and the stars,
which you have set in place,

what is man that you are mindful of him,
the son of man that you care for him?

An uncaring, unfeeling, indifferent universe, or a Creator who cares for his creation and has expressed his care redemptively.

Are you better than a Cheezie?

It's your call.

No comments:

"... nothing intellectually compelling or challenging.. bald assertions coupled to superstition... woefully pathetic"