Thursday, June 01, 2006

How do I phrase this diplomatically?

Everybody says something intemperate or ill-advised or stupid at some point in their lives. So we should go easy on someone who does, realizes their mistake, and apologizes.

The latest example of foot-in-mouth disease is a US Democrat. Here's the story:

NEW YORK -- State Comptroller Alan Hevesi publicly apologized Thursday for a "beyond dumb" remark about a fellow Democrat putting "a bullet between the president's eyes."

According to a videotape of his speech, New York State Comptroller Alan Hevesi said: "The man who, how do I phrase this diplomatically, who will put a bullet between the president's eyes if he could get away with it. The toughest senator, the best representative. A great, great member of the Congress of the United States."

If "put a bullet between the President's eyes" represents diplomatic speech, I would hate to be around when Mr. Hevesi was speaking candidly!

Mr Hevesi apologized and referred to his comments as "remarkably stupid" and "incredibly moronic." 'Nuff said. You're forgiven.

The apostle James says the tongue is a world of iniquity, set on fire from hell. And, he added, "who can tame it?" The apostle Paul says our speech needs to be seasoned with grace, which would give us gracious speech. That's my aim. I'm not there yet. But at least I know the way. Jesus said, "I am the way". By the grace of God, I'll get there.

4 comments:

frappeur said...

I believe the syndrome is called "Foot in Mouth Disease"

BallBounces said...

My bad. I'm going to go back, correct the mistake and pretend it never happened!

frappeur said...

Wasn't there some guy in Britain who thought PM Blair should be shot? What gives with these non-violent liberals?

I could make a few suggestions about what should be done to them but I would be roasted as a rabid, foaming at the mouth, right wing swine.

BallBounces said...

There was indeed.

Civil discourse is becoming very uncivil.

The heart of modern-day liberalism is a spirit of moral lawlessness. Bend the laws to accommodate a liberal view if you can, break them if you can't.

Morgentaler on abortion was a good example. The Appeals Courts on same-sex marriage another.

Being out of power makes some liberals rabid -- and it shows.

"... nothing intellectually compelling or challenging.. bald assertions coupled to superstition... woefully pathetic"