Thursday, October 16, 2008

Shanghaied in Shanghai

I'm just transiting through Shanghai's Pudong Airport. At least I'm trying to. Unlike most modern airports, you can't just remain in the secure terminal area when in transit-- you have to clear China customs in, check-in for your flight, and then turn around and clear customs out.

Even worse, when I got to the Air Canada check-in counter I learned that they expected me to have my checked luggage with me, even though the bags had been checked through to Canada in Singapore and I had the claims check to prove it.

To add insult to injury, they cheerily told me they would be closing the check-in for the flight in about 45 minutes.

I had to negotiate my way back into the arrivals area ("turn left at the Burger King") locate my bags (which had been removed and chained together, and then dash back to the Air Canada check-in.

Followed by another trip through immigration control to "exit" China.

Followed by another visit through security.

I arrived in the lounge hot, sweaty, and bothered.

Next time I have a chance to transit through Shanghai, I think I'll take a pass.

And that's the way the shanghaied Ball bounces.

4 comments:

Pissedoff said...

Bet you didn't use Air Canada from Sing. So you got treated just like me when flying from Montreal to Vancouver and changing to Air China from Vancouver to Shanghai. Thats how it works. In Sing your bags should not have been checked all the way through. Although for me being in Canada at the change, customs didn't apply.
In China you clear custom going in and leaving. They are worried about people stealing artifacts something Canada doesn't have to worry about.

BallBounces said...

Yes, but --

as I said, in most airports when you are just making an international connection, you just stay in the secure part of the airport -- no need to pass through customs/immigration twice -- entering and exiting.

Anonymous said...

Not if you are changeing airlines. One airline will not transfer your bags to another one.Espcially these days

BallBounces said...

You could be right.

I had a decent flight back on Air Canada, and my bags arrived within 24 hours, so all's well that ends well.

"... nothing intellectually compelling or challenging.. bald assertions coupled to superstition... woefully pathetic"