Saturday, April 08, 2006

I Spy with my little eye...

I couldn't resist responding to this blogger post. My response follows.

* * * This from "jack rabbit" (not me) * * *

A warning - this is a bit harsh - but designed to make you think.

Hi government spies. I hope you are having a good time. Do you enjoy snooping into other's business? Is it fun? What kind of a simpleton gets off on that sort of thing?

How about snooping on your fellow Americans? Do you find the work interesting? Do you like digging through other people's stuff? Do you like listening to their private conversations? Are you essentially a peeping tom who's justifying their sick fun because your leader told you it is ok? Do you have a mind of your own?

The above is an oversimplification I am sure. Perhaps you are thinking - "This dumb uninformed citizen doesn't know the facts about why it is so important to spy on Americans." This is true, since the important work you folks do is so important you can't tell me what you are doing, why you are doing it, or anything - even though you claim to be doing it for my own good - in fact I, the taxpayer are giving you the money to do it. So if you were spying on me the justification would be that you are spying on my to save me from... what ... myself? May I ask if you even know why you are spying on your fellow citizens?

We are all Americans - we have a constitution. If you swore to uphold the constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic, DO IT! If unconstitutional things are happening, or you are participating in them - STOP IT. If you are too much of a coward to blow the whistle, (that is impossible, aren't you all the bravest of the brave?) then QUIT your job. Or have you been comprimised by a high mortgage payment in Glen Burnie or other expensive community?

I know this is harsh, but it needs to be said. Think about it. If those in the know don't come forward so that America can be populated by an informed electorate -we cannot possibly have the information necessary to make the right decisions at the
voting booth.
posted by jack rabbit at 10:20 PM on Apr 03 2006

* * * This was my tongue-in-cheeky response * * *

"Hi government spies. I hope you are having a good time."

Thank you, we are.

"Do you enjoy snooping into other's business?"

Yes.

"Is it fun?"

Yes.

"What kind of a simpleton gets off on that sort of thing?"

The pay is good. We get to eat donuts.

"How about snooping on your fellow Americans?

That's definitely one of the attractions.

"Do you find the work interesting?"

Most definitely.

"Do you like digging through other people's stuff?"

Of course, who wouldn't?!

"Do you like listening to their private conversations?"

Yes.

"Are you essentially a peeping tom who's justifying their sick fun because your leader told you it is ok?"

No, but we've made a note that you have begun talking about a "peeping Tom". We're adding that to your file, and checking your neighborhood.

"Do you have a mind of your own?"

I have to check with my superior, but I'm pretty sure it's going to be an affirmatory.

"Perhaps you are thinking - "This dumb uninformed citizen doesn't know the facts about why it is so important to spy on Americans.""

I was just thinking that! You are amazing!

"This is true, since the important work you folks do is so important you can't tell me what you are doing, why you are doing it, or anything - even though you claim to be doing it for my own good"

I can't tell you what we are doing, but I can tell you this: the important work we are doing is very important. That's why it's so important that we do it. And, it's for your own good.

" - in fact I, the taxpayer are giving you the money to do it."

And we appreciate it.

"So if you were spying on me the justification would be that you are spying on my to save me from... what ... myself?"

Exactly.

May I ask if you even know why you are spying on your fellow citizens?

Yes.

"We are all Americans - we have a constitution."

And I have sworn to uphold it!

"If you swore to uphold the constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic, DO IT!"

I'm DOING IT!

"If unconstitutional things are happening, or you are participating in them - STOP IT."

I'm STOPPING THEM RIGHT NOW!

"If you are too much of a coward to blow the whistle, (that is impossible, aren't you all the bravest of the brave?) then QUIT your job."

I would, but I've been compromised by a high mortgage in Glen Burnie.

"Or have you been comprimised by a high mortgage payment in Glen Burnie or other expensive community?"

Man, you are good.

"I know this is harsh, but it needs to be said. Think about it."

I'm thinking about it even as we speak.

"If those in the know don't come forward so that America can be populated by an informed electorate -we cannot possibly have the information necessary to make the right decisions at the voting booth."

Or at the drive-through take-out window!

11 comments:

Nancy Reyes said...

ah, but back in the good old anti VietNam war days, in 1966 (i.e. under Democrat Johnson) the FBI was spying on anti war people...
Second: If you really worry about privacy, I'd worry about my medical records...any insurance clerk could get hold of them
Three: Worry about large businesses spying...my husband has a hispanic name, and we not only get advertising mail in Spanish addressed to him, but the Democratic party had a telemakerter call us to remind us in Spanish to vote...I had the unlisted phone registered under my non hispanic maiden name, ...so how did they find this out?)

MRI Hero said...

Hi RK,

Your response was funny, thank you.

I have to go eat some carrots now.

JR

MRI Hero said...

RK,

I answered your closing question on my blog:

kball asks in comment:
Which is worse; an uninformed electorate that votes, or an informed electorate that does not?

Answer: Irrelevant. The goal is an informed electorate that actually votes. Excessive govt. secrecy limits the availability of information necessary for an informed decision-making process. The result - poor decisions by the electorate due to incomplete data. Garbage in garbage out. Also, since you are in Canada and may be a Canadian I apologize for the statement, 'We are all Americans.' That was meant for the audience here in the states. As an American I forget other countries exist until I need to buy another BMW or my gas tank is empty.

MRI Hero said...

More on the topic:
http://www.counterpunch.org/smith04142006.html

BallBounces said...

Jack, it was great to hear from you again! I checked the link you gave me, but didn't see anything on spying. Or did you have a different topic in mind?

MRI Hero said...

Hey, I don't remember what was at the last post , but I think this link will give some food for thought. I don't want to sound too paranoid, but you just have to see some of the cops walking around here in the states. Check out this stuff:

http://www.notbored.org/camera-abuses.html

BallBounces said...

Most of the examples cited were examples of individual, illegal surveillance.

In Britain, cameras are everywhere. They refer to them as CCTV or something like that. That's why, after the bus bombings, they were able to locate and identify the perps -- there was so much tape available.

Also, amateur camera-operators often expose police abuse, don't they!

Don't forget, Jack, "cameras don't spy on people, people do"!

(Just kidding!)

MRI Hero said...

Did you ever read 1984? I thought you were a conservative. Do conservatives need the government cameras to save them? This is a contradiction.

MRI Hero said...

Here is more survellance. Again - is this conservative? Smaller government? Less government intrusion? Or is the idea that we are all such cowards we need big government to monitor EVERYTHING to protect us?

I would rather be in danger than live in the nanny state. I am not afraid.

http://www.washtimes.com/national/20060418-110124-3694r.htm

BallBounces said...

Jack, I'm not actually in favour of the surveillance cameras. I was just trying to provide a different perspective.

I would have no problem with setting up a surveillance camera on my property, to protect it from intruders -- would you? Extending this, I would have no problem with a business setting up surveillance cameras in its parking lot, stairwells, to protect against vandalism. Would you? Extending this, then, what about setting up surveillance cameras in the store to protect against shoplifting. Would that be OK? Then, what about setting up cameras to catch employee theft -- it does happen. Is that OK? Would it make a difference if it was your store, and your property being stolen?

MRI Hero said...

Sir,

Excellent conversation. Again, thank you for your efforts to discuss this in a thoughtful manner. I am not interested in being right, I am interested in finding the truth through asking questions and discussion. Thank you.

The cameras on private property are fine with me. One may be arrested for trespassing on private property. I have none at my house. I honestly am not that worried about anyone coming to get me.

My problem with surveillance is with blanket surveillance of public property, like entire cities. Why? Because I believe the best way to solve a problem is first to define the problem, then to attack the root cause of the problem. Cameras? How about stopping the idiotic war on drugs, then no cameras are needed to monitor drug transactions. If you are against lifting the drug ban, consider whether or not you would start shooting heroin or snorting coke the minute the drug ban was lifted. I wouldn't, I've got too much going on in my life. But I have fun stuff going on in my life because I am gainfully employed and have enough money to do that.

Also, I would be honored if you would read through some of the rather controversial articles I've written on my blog at http://americanjourney.blogspot.com/

I would like to hear the opinions of a christian conservative - I am a fiscal conservative, but lean left toward govt. interference in private decisions. I used to think that was a conservative standpoint.
I think Rep. Ron Paul of Texas is a true conservative. Also please forgive my somewhat self-absorbed view of things as an American as I am not discussing issues with Canada, I think they are going in the wrong direction on drug legalization, which will ultimately start to ruin your country and militarize your police like ours have been. I am old enough to realize that the police have turned into a modern monster that they were not as I was growing up.

By the way,

"... nothing intellectually compelling or challenging.. bald assertions coupled to superstition... woefully pathetic"