Thursday, August 17, 2006

The United Church vs. Jesus Christ

Someone has suggested that if Jesus were Canadian, he would be a member of the United Church of Canada, because of its far-left social views (the latest being the idea of banning bottled water).

Would Jesus join the UCC? I doubt it. Firstly, I doubt he would be attracted to its watered-down gospel. Secondly, unless he "repented" of his fundamentalist mindset, I doubt that he would be welcome. Actually, I take that back. The UCC welcomes everybody, regardless of belief. But would he be welcomed into the corridors of power within the UCC?

Perhaps the the question should be, "would the UCC accept Jesus' application to be an ordained UCC minister".

Let's consider the UCC vs. Jesus Christ:

"My Father..." -- offensive

"Our Father..." -- still offensive

"I am the Way, no person comes to the Father but by ME" -- offensive

"He who believes and is baptized shall be saved; he who believes not shall be damned" -- offensive

"Except you repent, you shall all likewise perish" -- offensive

"I am THE Truth" -- offensive

"He who is angry with his brother without cause is in danger of hell fire" -- offensive

"Think not that I have come to bring peace on the earth" -- offensive

"This is the new covenant in my blood... -- offensive

I think it's pretty clear that Jesus just wouldn't be considered "Christian enough" to be ordained within the UCC.

No comments:

"... nothing intellectually compelling or challenging.. bald assertions coupled to superstition... woefully pathetic"