Thursday, March 09, 2006

Back where I belong

Prior to leaving for Africa I wrote, "I've heard that the College I'll be teaching at has installed high-speed satellite Internet, but I'll have to see it to believe it. So, I might be landline-locked for the next month; we'll see."

Turns out, this was optimistic. During the two-weeks I was at the college, the Internet was only up one day. "Up and running" would not describe it. "Up and badly limping", perhaps.

Not only that, my prediction that I might be landline-locked also proved hopelessly optimistic. The telephone line at the Kerrs' house where I was staying was down for two or three weeks.

We ended up doing most of our interneting in-town, at a Cyber Caffe.

I'm not even going to bother hiking the internet phone all the way to Africa next time. I'll wait until Africa catches up.

For a depiction of my exploits in Africa, please refer to my goodnewsforzambia blog.

It's good to be back.

No comments:

"... nothing intellectually compelling or challenging.. bald assertions coupled to superstition... woefully pathetic"