Wednesday, December 27, 2006

My Roots are showing

In my last trek to Zambia, I did a one-night stop-over, coming and going, in London. I found that my arm got very sore from lugging around my overnight bag from the tube stop to the hotel.

I decided then that it was time for me to try a backpack; all the young kids have one; why not me?

Well, the planning for the next Zambia trip is underway. I've already had my shots, and there's a brew in the refrigerator that I'm to drink a week before the trip. And so my thoughts turn to backpacks.

I did some research last night online. Roots has a leather backpack on sale at 50% off, for around a hundred dollars, plus taxes. So, after checking out Costco today, I swung over to the Roots store at the Bayview Village. When I asked about backpacks, I was told that the leather ones had all sold out within an hour or two of the store opening yesterday. I take that to mean they were a good value at that price.

No leather ones, but I spotted a decent backpack that originally sold for $50. On sale for $35. And then 50% off that; so I got it for just under $20, taxes included. In other words, I got it for about the amount I would have paid in taxes to buy the leather one!

There was just one left. And I got it! Nice little Canadian flag on the side and back. I'm looking forward to trying it out on my next trip through London.

The leather one is still available online at 50% off and free shipping; I think I'll order it too, and see which one I like the best!

And that's the way the Ball bounces.

No comments:

"... nothing intellectually compelling or challenging.. bald assertions coupled to superstition... woefully pathetic"