Saturday, December 02, 2006

$29 gets you a new DVD player

We were in the process of watching the last two episodes of the MacGyver TV series when our SONY DVD player went on strike. It's pretending that I haven't put any in the player. It's really insistent. It's playing hardball.

What to do?

I could take the $200 SONY DVD player in for servicing, or, for $29, buy a new, off-brand, made-in-China model.

I opt for the $29 model. I buy it at Future Shop (although I could have just as easily bought one at the SuperCentre). They try to sell me the four-year insurance package, which, at $10, or the price of two double-doubles a year, I guess really is a good deal. But, as a matter of policy, I don't buy them. I know that, statistically, the reason they are so eager to sell me one is because they make a lot of money from them.

Get the new DVD player home, plug it in, and voila! MacGyver never looked better.

Plus, this new player has features my five-year old SONY player doesn't have. The best is the improved sound. It has Dolby, and I immediately noticed better, cleaner, stereo sound coming from my $29 model.

The remote is, admittedly, goofy. Way too many tiny buttons illogically placed. And you have to point it just-right at the TV.

But, at $29, I'll take it.

This reminds me of a day about 10 years ago when VCRs were in vogue. Our dog "ate" our SONY VCR remote. I phoned SONY in Toronto to find out how much a replacement remote would be.

It was well over $100; I think something closer to $150.

I found out later that this high price was supposedly to inhibit theft, since apparently many VCRs were stolen and the thieves would forget to take the remote. I suspect it was more likely because SONY thought they had a captive audience who would cough up more than $100 for a remote.

Anyway, last night I got both a functional DVD player, and a working remote, complete with batteries and cables, and a fabulous ninety-day warranty,

for $29.

And that's the way the Ball bounces.

No comments:

"... nothing intellectually compelling or challenging.. bald assertions coupled to superstition... woefully pathetic"