Friday, May 04, 2007

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper album was released in the summer of 1967 in Canada. I was 16 (which makes me 39, going-on-40 today). Everyone got a copy. I remember listening to it in the boathouse at a neighbour's cottage. All the neighbourhood teens gravitated to the site.

Pepper is a true watershed album. The history of rock can be divided into two eras: everything leading up to Pepper, and everything following from it. Rolling Stone magazine ranks it as the #1 rock album of all time.

So, it was a bit of a rite of passage when a couple of days ago I finally got around to uploading my CD copy of Sgt. Pepper into iTunes. Today, I will upload it from iTunes into my iPod.

From vinyl, to CD, to iTunes, to an iPod.

The technology has changed, but the music, which for many is the soundtrack of their lives, lives on.

As I look back to 1967 and the teenager that was, and all that lay ahead, I worship God for his sovereign goodness and grace. I did not know God when I was 16. But I know him now.

And thank him for all He's done for me.

It was a long and winding road that lead me to his Door.

And that's the way the Ball bounces.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can relate...
so now I know you are bad at math... ;)
Vicki

"... nothing intellectually compelling or challenging.. bald assertions coupled to superstition... woefully pathetic"