Saturday, February 02, 2008

Return Roadtrip!™ Day Five: Land of Lincoln and NASCAR

Fenton, Missouri - Auburn, Indiana

Left the Drury Inn and Suites in Fenton, Missouri and hit the road at around 8:30 am. Took the St. Louis bypass and rounded St. Louis into Illinois. Through Illinois into Indiana. I remember that there's a Uno Chicago Grill in Indianapolis. I wonder if the Garmin Nuvi can help out? I select Food/Lodging and key in "Uno Chicago Grill". Bingo! There are two up the road in Indianapolis. I select one, and, presto!, up comes the address and telephone number! I use my Tracfone, call Uno's and put an order in -- say we'll be there in an hour. The Garmin directed us to Uno's and got it almost right, but I had to call to fine-tune exactly where they were located. The pizzas were waiting for us.

This... changes... everything. Imagine being able to find a restaurant from an in-car device, order ahead, select it, and it directs you to the restaurant -- how cool is that?!

Update on Day Three. I mentioned the bad weather and careful driving from New Mexico up to Tulsa, and the overturned fire truck in Amarillo. Turns out the fire truck was part of a 40-car pileup, with one fatality. I had noticed big rigs had exited I-40 and were parked on secondary roads and wondered about that -- turns out I-40 eastbound had been closed. It must have opened just as we drove into town because there was a sign saying it was closed ahead, but it wasn't.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/texasfire/2232378321/

http://www.amarillo.com/stories/020108/new_9478688.shtml

We thank the Lord for protecting us.

We are staying tonight at the LaQuinta in Auburn, Indiana, using a coupon.

Love the coupons!

Approx. distance travelled: 650 km.

No comments:

"... nothing intellectually compelling or challenging.. bald assertions coupled to superstition... woefully pathetic"