Thursday, April 26, 2007

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year (NOT!)

A Christmas song, right?

Well, April in Canada and the US is Income Tax Time.

Most definitely not the most wonderful time of the year.

In the States, I believe you have until April 15th.

Here in Canada, we're still thawing out, so we get another two weeks.

I have four tax returns I'm responsible for, so I set aside a week. A week of my life dedicated to tax compliance.

I'm not saying that the Canadian Income Tax system is overly complex, or caters to esoteric situations, but just let me say that if I were a lumberjack who had paid logging taxes, lived in a remote area, while working overseas for at least six consecutive months, I'd have it made.

Still, Canadians and Americans live in two of the greatest countries on earth, speak the greatest language in the history of the world (with the possible exception of Latin), and have ready access to materials and organizations that lead to knowledge of the one true God.

So I guess we can put up with some arcane tax laws.

And that's the way the Ball bounces.

No comments:

"... nothing intellectually compelling or challenging.. bald assertions coupled to superstition... woefully pathetic"