Friday, April 13, 2007

Our Mother Earth

Here are two headlines juxtaposed at today's Amazon.ca:

Celebrate Our Mother Earth and Save up to 39%

coupled with

Mother's Day is May 13th.

I'm not sure if the two sentiments are connected. Does this mean that Earth Day falls on May 13th this year?

"Celebrate Our Mother Earth" -- it's almost creepy, in a pagan worship kind of way.

I realize that "Mother Nature" is just one of those dodges -- like the Easter Bunny and Santa Clause -- that the unregenerate mind uses to slip around and avoid Godthought, and I know it is considered acceptable to talk about Mother Nature in a way that "Celebrate Our Creator's World" would not be, but still, "Our Mother Earth" makes me uneasy.

It's almost like creeping paganism right out of the book of Romans -- "rejecting worship of the Creator, they worship the creation".

Christians need to resist such notions, and to think, and speak, in Christian thought-forms.

And that's the way the Ball bounces.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I feel the same way about both titles, but we seem to be in the minority and are not making much difference.
What do you suggest??

Betty G

BallBounces said...

I know the feeling!

The first thing I would do is personally avoid using the terms myself. The other thing I would do is try to be a bit more bold and talk about God as Creator, and talk about the creation, in public.

But it does often seem like we are losing ground.

"... nothing intellectually compelling or challenging.. bald assertions coupled to superstition... woefully pathetic"