Monday, April 23, 2007

Pet Peeve #1: "Please Pay This Amount"

Do you have any pet peeves? I know I do. I define a pet peeve as a relatively minor recurring irritant or annoyance. Today I'm starting a new feature -- pet peeves.

I'm starting with one that's currently staring me in the face.

I'm looking at a bill from Superior Propane. In big letters it says, "Please Pay This Amount". If you take this to mean that they want me to make a payment, you would be wrong.

Glancing down the invoice, and getting into the really tiny fine-print, you will see that it also says "Credit Card Payment. Your Credit Card will be debited..."

With our busy, complex lifestyles, I have bills that get paid automatically via credit card, bills that get paid via automatic deduction from our chequing account, and bills that I pay online. Occasionally I even write a cheque. It gets confusing.

It doesn't help when I receive something in the mail that says "Please Pay This Amount".

What the invoice really should say is "Please DON'T Pay This Amount".

And that's the way the Ball bounces.

No comments:

"... nothing intellectually compelling or challenging.. bald assertions coupled to superstition... woefully pathetic"