Monday, July 28, 2008
Quote of the Day: Meet The CIA In The Sky
George Greenstein (Astronomer)
“As we survey all the evidence, the thought insistently arises that some supernatural agency—or, rather, Agency—must be involved. Is it possible that suddenly, without intending to, we have stumbled upon scientific proof of the existence of a Supreme Being? Was it God who stepped in and so providentially crafted the cosmos for our benefit?” (h/t y-origins.com)
Dr. Greenstein is the co-author of "The Quantum Challenge: Modern Research On The Foundations Of Quantum Mechanics". The quote is taken from his book, The Symbiotic Universe, page 27.
* * *
Dr. Greenstein sounds like a Christian enthusiast. Apparently not. The web describes him alternately as an atheist or a pantheist.
* * *
Check out Dr. Greenstein's engaging website at http://www.amherst.edu/~gsgreenstein/
In addition to some wonderful pictures of the cosmos, he's got software models that simulate various astronomical phenomena:
* Cosmology: illustrating the cosmological principle, solutions to the Friedmann equations and the statistics of galaxy counts
* Orbits, the Doppler effect, and the Rotation Curves of Galaxies
* Simulation of a Pulsar Beacon
* Simulation of the Orbits of Pluto and Charon
* For the climax, there's the Big Bang, and, behind the explosion you can see the face of God. Bwahaaaahaaaa!!!! (just kidding).
* * *
Dr. Greenstein does not seem to be on the Wik., which leads to the question: does he really exist? As in, "I'm on Wik., therefore, I am".
* * *
There's another George Greenstein on the web who's written Secrets of a Jewish baker. Has anyone seen these two George Greensteins in the same room? Who knows? Perhaps doing quantum physics and baking bread are really one and the same thing in some kind of crazy quantum way.
"... nothing intellectually compelling or challenging.. bald assertions coupled to superstition... woefully pathetic"