Thursday, August 16, 2007

Pet Peeve: the HBC website

The Hudson's Bay website has some serious problems.

Unlike every other retail site on the planet, there is no place on the home page to do a quick search for merchandise. You spend valuable time looking for it, and then more time more trying to figure out what you have to do to look for merchandise on their website.

Finally I found a little "Online Shopping" tabby-thing. So I clicked on it. For all my effort, I was rewarded with the following message:

"We have detected that your Computer is not accepting Cookies."

Thanks a lot, and no, you haven't.

My Mac is set up to accept Cookies -- what they failed to do was realize I was using Safari as my web browser. Every other retail site on the planet (with the exception of Air Canada) has been designed to show they value a Mac users' business as much as anybody else.

Not HBC.

I switch over to Firefox browser, and re-access the HBC site.

Now for my third beef with the HBC site. It has very poor look-up skills. In response to my inquiry concerning LCD TVs, it comes up with exactly three TVs, and nine "other things", including a radio with an LCD screen and some kids' toys.

Very poor.

It was like this when I last looked at it -- two years ago -- and it's still just as bad.

Which is why I'll be taking my online shopping elsewhere.

I hope they improve.

And that's the way the Ball bounces.

No comments:

"... nothing intellectually compelling or challenging.. bald assertions coupled to superstition... woefully pathetic"