Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Pardon Me If I Misspoke My Misstatement

"I say a lot of things -- millions of words a day -- so if I misspoke, that was just a misstatement.''

The above is Hillary Clinton's quoted response to being found out exaggerating her account of a trip to Bosnia 10 years or so ago -- sniper fire, running for cover, and all that.

Millions of words a day?

Let's analyze that.

There are 24*60*60 = 86,400 seconds in a day. To speak millions of words a day, Hillary would have to speak, at a minimum, 2,000,000/86,400 = 23.15 words per second, for every second in every minute in every hour in a day.

I wonder how many numerically-challenged reporters and analysts picked up on this?

No comments:

"... nothing intellectually compelling or challenging.. bald assertions coupled to superstition... woefully pathetic"