Thursday, March 22, 2007

The Return Journey Day One: Standin' on a Corner in Winslow Arizona

Buffet breakfast at the Scottsdale Camelback Inn. 3.5 hour drive north on 87 to Winslow AZ. Early dinner at La Posada's Turquoise Room restaurant. Carnitas.

27 degrees (Celsius) when we left Phoenix, it dropped to 7 as we navigated through the mountains. It rained both in Phoenix and a bit on the drive north.

After dinner we walked two blocks from our hotel and until we were "standin' on a corner in Winslow Arizona". There's a small park that's been built to commemorate the Eagles' 1970's song which (for many) put Winslow on the map:

Well, I'm a standing on a corner
In Winslow, arizona
And such a fine sight to see
Its a girl, my Lord, in a flatbed Ford
Slowin down to take a look at me

Come on, baby, don't say maybe
I gotta know if your sweet love
Is gonna save me

We may lose and we may win though
We will never be here again
So open up, I'm climbin in,
So take it easy

They've got a bronze statue of a young man with a guitar standing on the corner, they've even got a flatbed Ford parked along the side of the street; it's perfect! I downloaded the song onto my iPod, and plan to drive by with the song blaring tomorrow. Yeah, I bet that's the first time anyone's done that, just like nobody else has ever had the idea to walk the Zebra crossing at Abbey Road!

Tomorrow we plan to head east on route 40 into New Mexico.

So, take it easy!

No comments:

"... nothing intellectually compelling or challenging.. bald assertions coupled to superstition... woefully pathetic"