Sunday, August 01, 2010

NYT Short Article on Philosophy and Faith

Here.

I like what one blogger, salgadoce, had to say in the Comments section:

"Faith is hope - hope in the future, hope that we aren't alone in the universe, hope that we have a purpose... hope in a Creator. I don't 'believe or have faith' in these things because... have been persuaded by sound arguments - I believe because I would much rather prefer - indeed, I WANT - to live in a world where God/Love/Justice/Honor are real and therefore form a significant part of my life.

"I don't believe in love because I am flooded by it's magnificence everyday, all the time; I have faith in the existence of love because I could not bear to live in a world where what I have come to regard as love is simply the effects of millions of electro-chemical interactions in my brain." [and nothing more]

I believe there is more to faith than this. Faith must have an Object. And faith must have content. And saving faith must be infused and instantiated by God Himself.

But this is a good start.

C. S. Lewis developed a whole apologetic around the argument from desire. The more I think about it, the more I think he was on the right track.

Regain your humanity. Rebel against the atheist machine.™

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is an example of the fallacy of an Appeal to Consequences.

"... nothing intellectually compelling or challenging.. bald assertions coupled to superstition... woefully pathetic"