Monday, October 18, 2010

The New Cathay Pacific Slider Seat


Cathay Pacific is a great airline providing great service, but the new seat is thumbs-down.

The new Cathay Pacific economy-class seat doesn't recline. Let me repeat that. The new Cathay Pacific economy-class seat doesn't recline. The inner padded part of it just kind of slides down 2 or 3 inches. But no recline.

Pluses:

* The seat back is high. Designed to accommodate the video screen in its back, this is a plus for tall guys like me.

* The middle seat has a power outlet in it, to be shared by the row.

* There's a drink-holder in the seat-back tray accessible when the tray is in its closed position. Kudos to the guy who thought of that!

Minuses:

* No recline.

* The seat is thin. It lasts for about an hour. After that, you think you are sitting on a rock. Good for a 15 hour flight? No. Take pain-killers.

* If you get a bulkhead, you lose the coveted electrical outlet.

I had a 3 1/2 hour flight from Hong Kong down to Singapore that had the conventional seat. It was infinitely more comfortable.

Bottom-Line.

The new seat may work for Asian-sized bodies. Doesn't work for me.

Let's hope it doesn't catch on.

* * *

I survived the outbound flight because I had read the reviews and went out and bought a $30 Obus Forme seat wedge to pad to seat. On the inbound, I paid an extra $100 to secure an aisle bulkhead seat. This gave me extra leg-room and allowed me to get up and dance in the aisle at will. The Hong Kongers looked like they'd never seen a Caucasian guy dancing in the aisle before.

* * *

One other weird thing. On the outbound flight, I ordered "chicken with pasta". It was chicken with rice. On the inbound, I ordered "beef with pasta". It was beef with mashed potatoes. What's up with "pasta" on Cathay Pacific?!

Late-breaking news.

Update: Going, going, gone?
Enhanced by Zemanta

6 comments:

Bert said...

I hate reclining seats on an airplane. There is always some moron in front of you whi reclines there seat, and then you have less room in YOUR seat.

BallBounces said...

I know the feeling. I think moderation, and consideration for others, is the key.

Dave Hodson said...

You're not alone. I saw the article below last week in the TripAdvisor air travel forum...

http://atwonline.com/aircraft-engines-components/news/passenger-complaints-lead-cathay-economy-seat-upgrade-1012

Sorry for the long link, which might not come through properly, but bottom line... passenger complaints are prompting them to scrap these new seats on long haul flights.

BallBounces said...

Link came through. That's good news.

Anonymous said...

@Bert, well, having paid for a reclining seat, just like you, why wouldn't the "moron" do it??

BallBounces said...

Perhaps the "moron" could tilt his seat back to the upright position when leaving his seat for the toilet, perhaps?

"... nothing intellectually compelling or challenging.. bald assertions coupled to superstition... woefully pathetic"