Thursday, January 19, 2006

I wanna be a nation too!

We know that Quebec is a "nation".

And we know that the First Nations are... nations. (I wonder how many of them there are?)

I was just reading a CBC article, and I just learned that the Metis are also a nation!

My relatives came to Canada about the same time that whites were inter-breeding with Indians and begetting the Metis nation. So, the Metis are half-white, half me. I'm half way to being a nation!

I wanna be a nation, too!

What if someone began speaking about the "white nation", or maybe the "white nations", meaning the original European settlers to Canada

Can you imagine the uproar?

Can you imagine the accusations of racism?

Funny how politics work, isn't it?

OK to call the Metis a nation, and they're half-white. But, and this is important, they get their nationhood not by being half-white, but by being half-Indian.

And the whites? We don't get to be a nation. (So I can, sniff, put my dream of being a nation someday away.) We just get to work hard and pay the bills.

And, if the Liberals, NDP and the United Church have their way, to feel guilty along the way.

1 comment:

frappeur said...

Can we have a provincial nation?

How about the Peoples' Democratic Republic of PEI?

"... nothing intellectually compelling or challenging.. bald assertions coupled to superstition... woefully pathetic"