Image via WikipediaSingapore is noted as a tough-on-crime country. I've been there about 30 times. Did it cramp my style? No. How did this tough-on-crime jurisdiction strike me? Clean, orderly, and safe.
Which brings us to the Canadian Conservatives' crime omnibus bill. The media are endlessly concerned about any and all Conservative crime measures. Expect to see the words draconian, regressive, neanderthal, and punishment-focused in the days ahead.
But what about the draconian, regressive, punishment-focused actions the neanderthal Conservatives have already taken? The National Post has a list.
* Toughened sentencing and bail for serious gun crimes
* Imposed mandatory jail time for drive-by and reckless shootings
* Ended so-called “sentence discounts” for multiple murder
* Ended early parole for murderers
* Cracked down on street racing and drug-impaired driving
* Raised the age of sexual consent to 16 years from 14 years
* Stopped two-for-one credit for time served in pre-trial custody
* Ended early parole for white-collar criminals
* Made it mandatory for sex offenders to be included in the National Sex Offender Registry
* Imposed tougher sentencing for child traffickers
* Made it mandatory for Internet providers to report information they receive about child pornography on the web
* Hired 1,000 new RCMP personnel
* Imposed longer wait periods for certain offenders seeking a pardon
How did these actions adversely affect you?
Singapore has a disembarkation card. At the bottom it states, "Death for drug smugglers". Unless you plan to smuggle drugs, you have nothing to worry about.
And that's the way the Ball bounces.