Saturday, May 14, 2011

Thou Shalt Not Steal: Let's End The Stigma Associated With Unreceipted Customers

Fry's Electronics logo        Image via Wikipedia
Was shopping at Fry's Electronics in Phoenix a few weeks back. Theft Shoplifting The five-finger-discount is, apparently a problem. Who knew?

1. First, when I went to pay by credit card my ID was checked. Apparently, people steal and/or use other people's credit cards!

2. Then, when I went to pay cash for my nifty new glow-in-the-dark flashlight, the guy left me, walked over to a machine, ran my twenty under a counterfeit bill scanner, and then sauntered back. Apparently, people counterfeit money!

3. Then, on the way out, my goods were checked and my receipt was marked. Why do they do this? Apparently, people buy stuff, put it in their car, and then walk back in and help themselves to another round knowing their all receipted-up!

They did the same mark-the-receipt thing to me at a Wal-Mart in Colorado. Apparently, "Thou Shalt Not Steal" isn't what it used to be!

Which got me thinking. If illegal immigrants are merely "undocumented", and its all just a minor matter of missing paperwork, shouldn't we refer to shoplifters as merely "unreceipted" customers?

Hmm.

And that's the way the receipted Ball bounces.

Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've shopped regularly at Fry's in Phoenix (Tatum & Shea) and have never been subjected to the procedures you outline.

BallBounces said...

Fry's Tatum and Shea -- that's Fry's Food Stores -- awesome store at Tatum and Shea!

I was shopping at Fry's Electronics over by I-17.

"... nothing intellectually compelling or challenging.. bald assertions coupled to superstition... woefully pathetic"